In this age of rampant consumerism, I have discovered that I am not happy. My Amazon stuff does not make me happy. The new shirt did not make me happy. The books and movies and internet did not make me happy.
In fact, if anything between the constant brokeness and the buyer’s remorse I find that I am actually more and more unhappy. For the next thirty days, I am not going to shop. I am not going to go out anywhere that requires me to spend money. I am not going to purchase anything except food. And the only exceptions to this will be made only if an emergency arises – and by emergency I mean that
So it was recently suggested to me that I might pare down and give some minimalism a try to see if there really is a link between my feelings of overwhelming depression and the clutter in my home. Rather than go on a huge decluttering spree and emptying my house – especially as I am one of the people whom the Gods have decided will never ever be allowed to successfully sell or rehome things, I am going to start by actually using the things in my home and then repurposing them or giving them away as I finish with them.For the next thirty days, I am not going to shop. I am not going to go out anywhere that requires me to spend money. I am not going to purchase anything except food.
I am hoping this will also help me to get a handle on my huge medical bills and other health obligations.
So on that note, for the next thirty days, I am not going to shop. I am not going to go out anywhere that requires me to spend money. I am not going to purchase anything except food. And the only exceptions to this will be made only if an emergency arises – and by emergency I mean that
- the cat needs to go to the vet
- a person needs medical care beyond what the medicine cabinet/firs aid kits can supply
- something breaks in the house that could endanger someone’s lives (gas line, heater/AC, water line)
- I will pay my rent and bills and spend on nothing else
And that’s ALL.
So for thirty days, starting July 1st I will live off of the things in my house…
- I will watch the movies I have purchased and never watched
- I will read the books I have that I have not read
- I will do some writing of my own
- I will walk in the park
- I will sit in the sun
- I may watch some TV – as it’s free, I don’t have any form of cable or streaming services
- I will pet my cat
- I will live off the food already in my house (all the canned goods, all the duplicate bags of beans, all the vegetables that have become frosted bricks in the bottom of my freezer_ and only grocery shop if I have to.
- I will even turn my phone to emergency only. (I can do this as I am self-employed, communicate almost wholly by email or social media, and don’t have any phone dependent friends or children I have to worry about.)
And I will blog about it as interesting things occur. At the end of the month, I will compare see how much I saved and I’ll post it.