Heavenly Apple Coconut Cake
(Note: bananas can be substituted for apples here – as can other fruits for those who are not allergic to them)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
1 hour, 5 minutes
Heavenly Apple Coconut Cake is a wonderful dairy free and grain free recipe for breakfast, snack or dessert. This uses coconut flour, coconut milk, coconut oil, coconut sugar and nuts. Very adaptable to any palate and diet. Serves 12 as is using a 9×13 baking dish, or you may half the recipe and use an 8×8 size baking dish.
You Will Need:
8 eggs (free range organic or omega-3 are best)
3/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 – 1/2 tsp coconut sugar
13.5 oz of full fat coconut milk (homemade or typically one can)
1 cup coconut flour, separated into thirds (do not pack)
1 1/2 cups almonds
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
2 pinches of coconut sugar
3 tbs softened coconut oil
Baking dish with sides
- With a whisk mix eggs, coconut oil, and coconut milk.
- Add coconut flour 1/3 cup at a time mixing and letting it rest a little between additions.
- Add coconut sugar. Mix well.
- If at this point the batter is too thick after resting a little, add water. Start with 1/4 cup at a time. I have had to go to a full 3/4 cup of water. You want the consistency of a nice creamy, slightly thick cake batter.
- Fold in 2 cups of diced apples. Pour into greased 9X13 inch baking dish.
- Mix together nuts, coconut sugar, coconut and coconut oil for the topping with a fork in a bowl. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the cake.
- Lastly, sprinkle the diced apples evenly over the top.
- Place in the oven at 350 degrees. Bake for 45 minutes. Check at 40 minutes to be sure it is not over browning. If it is and needs a longer cooking time, cover with aluminum foil to keep the topping from burning. You may need to cook for another 10-15 minutes longer.